Sunday, May 6, 2012

F- Style Octave Mandolin Prototype

This is my first Octave Mandolin build. Like a mandolin, but much larger and tuned an octave lower. There is no standard size, and no real plans to go by, so I'm developing a prototype based on my personal preference for fret scale and body size. I am drawing detailed plans as I go and making modifications as I go. I made a form for the body and steam bent the maple for the rims. The head block is solid maple and the end block and two point blocks are made from maple and mahogany.

The rims are glued to the blocks and the has taken shape.

 The neck has been cut to rough shape with the ebony headplate and adjustable truss rod installed. The rosewood fretboard has been laid out and fretted to a 20.875" scale, making it easier to play for small to medium hands.

My original "flower pot" design for the peghead inlay. I hand cut the pieces from mother-of-pearl and abalone.

3 comments:

  1. hi, nice job, i'am a brazilian studying to be luthier! you made a plan? can you send me? thanks! my e-mail is rafa_savio@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for construction plans for just such a mandolin. Do you sell your plans? If please tell how much and how can I get them.
    Thank you for your attention to this metter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have made a set of plans for the F style Ocatve Mandolin?
    I will purchase them How much?

    ReplyDelete