Sunday, June 24, 2012

Finishing The Orpheum

 Preparing the shellac for French polishing. Basically just alcohol and shellac flakes. TIP: Never mix your alcohols.

 I start with some thinned shellac with a little amber stain mixed in to give it some base color.

 Next I French polish using a little heavier shellac mix. I'm using medium amber shellac flakes so as I build the finish, the color starts getting a little deeper. French polishing uses a cotton ball dipped in the shellac mix, wrapped in a cotton cloth, and dabbed with a drop of olive oil so it will wipe on smooth. I slowly build up the finish with this technique.

 Once I have it built up to where I want it, I use a 400 grit sandpaper to level it all and remove the streaks from the wiping process.

Now I use a much thinner shellac mix for the top coats. There's no streaking with the thinner shellac, so there may just be some minimal light sanding followed by some polishing cloths, and it will be done. Once it's cured, it's as durable as modern lacquer finishes as long as you don't leave it in the sun or a hot car, or spill your whiskey on it. It's a difficult technique to master on larger instruments like guitars, but a banjo neck is not too bad

2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow,....WOWZA! That is exactly the sort of antique maple finish I was wanting. It looks great and I am getting even more excited. Thank you Mark for all of your effort and your incredible talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I know it is stung up and being played. Post more pictures and I hope a video so that I can enjoy at least vicariously. Looking forward to hearing from you. You are a genius!!!

    ReplyDelete